We’ve compiled a list of idea starters to spark your creativity while we’re isolating for the next few weeks. We’re using materials you already have around the house in an effort to minimize shopping and non-essential deliveries. Feel free to adapt any materials and try these out with the kids at home.
- Spring is just around the corner – try planting seeds in an empty egg carton and watching them grow. If you don’t have seeds or an egg carton you can start with an avocado pit, toothpicks, cup of water. With a little patience and time, you’ll see it sprout roots and a few leaves and then it’s time to plant it. With a lot more patience you’ll have an avocado tree one day!
- Start journaling. Dig out a notebook and start with a daily journal prompt to get started. We’ve started using this #5thingstoday prompt created by local artist, Anne Leuck Studio. Each journal entry includes the following 5 things:
- Day, date
- Current mood
- Something I saw today
- One thing that made me happy today
- Something I learned today
- We’re on so many zoom calls these days – think about crafting a fun backdrop for your video calls for the foreseeable future! Hang a statement piece of artwork behind you to express your personality. I have a portrait of my dog over my couch that makes an appearance in many calls lately! Don’t have a place for artwork?! Try making a geometric pattern out of washi tape or post-it notes on the wall behind you. Post-its could also be a dual-functioning backdrop and a place to sketch or list something you’re thankful for every day of isolation.
- Starting to collect a few empty toilet paper rolls after the great TP hoarding of 2020?! How about making a piece of wall art with them? Hear me out! Gather a handful of empty rolls, flatten each roll in half, and cut into 5 circular pieces. Arrange the pieces in a floral, geometric, or abstract pattern then attach them together with glue. Color the individual pieces with the kiddos before or after cutting or just leave them natural.
Hope you’re staying healthy + inside these days and that these projects provide some creative relief in times of stress. Feel free to reach out with any questions and tag @indigoandvioletstudio if you document your creative adventures on social media.
Indigo & Violet Studio is a Chicago-based venue for craft workshops and art parties. focusing on modern handmade projects taught in a relaxed studio environment. Our mission is to provide a creative outlet to adults – novice and experienced crafters alike. We work in a variety of mediums and often partner with local makers to collaborate on workshops. To help get the creative juices flowing, all events are BYOB.
Our north Lakeview studio is conveniently located just steps from Southport and a creative space to host your next birthday, baby shower, bridal shower, or team-building activity. We’ll celebrate, learn a new skill, and leave with a handmade memento of the celebration or gift your handmade craft to the guest of honor! Stay tuned for virtual ways to connect this month and check out our gift cards to redeem as soon as we’re crafting again in person!
Content provided by Women Belong member Leigh Hardy