Tired of paying hefty fees for checking your luggage? With airlines charging anywhere from $20-$50 for your first checked travel bag, many travelers have made the switch to a carry on bag, even for longer trips. Plus you can head out of the airport as soon as you disembark the plane, rather than trudging down to baggage claim to wait for your luggage.
Irv’s Luggage has been giving expert advice to travelers for over 72 years. Our most noteworthy info for travelers:
- While 4 wheel spinner cases are popular and convenient, 2 wheel cases give you more interior packing space. With a 4 wheel spinner, in order for the case to meet the overall allowable carry on dimensions, the case has to be smaller to allow for the 4 wheels. Takeaway: buy a 2 wheel carry on, gain more interior packing space and save BIG on baggage fees AND time.
- Softside vs. Hardside? Softside every time, for added space and flexibility in packing plus the convenience of having outside pockets. Most softside cases we sell have USB ports for charging your phone – you don’t need a hardside case for that!
- Packing cubes and packing folders have revolutionized the way we pack.
- Save a substantial amount of space by organizing your items and packing everything in a packing cube or folder.
- Packing folders are perfect for larger items like pants, or folded shirts. The wings fold in for maximum compression.
- Buy cubes with compression zippers that further compress your clothes saving additional space in your case.
- Using Ziploc bags in your luggage? Invest in packing cubes made of durable material and quality zippers because they will last forever, they stack better in your luggage, your clothes will be less creased and they’re easier to access.
- Bringing really bulky items, like sweaters and jackets? Check out Compression Bags – different than compression packing cubes.
- Compression Bags are made of durable plastic. You load your bag, seal the top (usually these have Ziploc tops), and then roll the bag squeezing out all the air. Using your body weight and rolling the bag on the floor will give you the best results.
- Bring interchangeable wardrobe items that give you multiple outfits.
- Choose basic pieces that work together and reduce the overall quantity of what you bring while still having options to change up your outfits.
- Wear your bulkiest shoes or boots on the plane and pack the smaller pair in your carry on.
- Invest in a compact toiletry kit with multiple pockets for keeping things organized.
- Use TSA compliant bottles or buy travel sized toiletry items.
So many carry ons to choose from – how do you choose??
I’m going to break it down and give you my top 3 favorite carry on bags:
- Briggs & Riley Baseline Domestic Carry On: at 22”, this carry on is the largest size you can take on the plane, giving you the most amount of space. The features and overall design of this bag are second to none; hanging section and a flat roomy interior. This is our best selling carry on, hands down.
- Travelpro Crew VersaPack Max Carryon: This New collection from Travelpro is expandable, has garment bag features so you can hang items if you choose, and offers various zip in organizers to make this versatile bag perfectly suited to the way you travel.
- Eagle Creek Expanse Hauler Convertible Carry On: This amazingly versatile carry on is perfect for the traveler that is moving around a lot and needs to have a roomy, lightweight bag along for the ride. This carry on converts easily to a backpack, with padded backpacks straps. Tuck the backpacks straps in and use the padded shoulder strap. Grab handles all around the bag make it easy to grab & go. Insanely great pockets everywhere.
With hundreds of travel accessories to help make your trip easier, more comfortable and more efficient, Irv’s Luggage is your 1 stop travel shop.
We joyfully extend 10% off anything in our store (except the clearance corner, which is already ridiculously sale priced) to any Women Belong member! Irv’s Luggage is a proud woman owned business.
Content provided by Women Belong member Renee Silverman